Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor free?
- The Express edition is free. The Professional Plus edition is for sale.
- Do I need to activate the product?
- Yes. You need to register/activate AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor Professional Plus before use. You will need an internet connection to activate it. Registration and activation is done through the software interface. You don't need to activate the Express Edition.
- Do I need to have internet connection everytime I use it?
- No. You just need internet connection when you first activate the product and everytime you want to check for updates
- What's the catch with the Express Edition?
- No catch at all. You can download it for free. You can give copies to your friends. You don't have to register. There's no trial date end (because it's not a trial). There are no pop-ups reminding you to buy the Professional Plus Edition. No Activation required. Absolutely no catch. Oh yeah, you cannot profit from it by selling or distributing it, etc.
- What's the difference between the Professional Plus and Express Edition?
- Professional Plus is for sale, Express is free. Express generates just one type of Razor Page; the Unbound Page. Unbound Razor Pages not bound to the database. The Data-Tier/Data Layer does not have code that connects to the database, you will need to manually add these code yourself. For a more complete list of the differences, please see the Product Edition Comparison found on the side menu. And of course the price.
- Is AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor a component?
- No it's not a component. It is a tool/application (.exe) that generates Razor Pages/classes based on your MS SQL Server 2000/2005/2008/2012/2014 database or an attached SQL Express.
- What do I need to generate Razor Pages/code using AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor?
- You need an MS SQL 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016 or later database or an attached SQL Express, or SQL Express, and the .NET Framework Core 2.0 installed in your pc.
- Are the generated Razor Pages/classes compatible with Visual Studio 2017?
- With Visual Studio 2017, yes. It's specifically made for the .NET Core 2.1 Framework. With older Visual Studio editions, no, because it will not compile .NET Core 2.1 classes. You can also use other IDEs if you like, the generated Razor Pages/classes are not tied to a specific IDE.
- Why do I need the .NET Framework Core 2.1 installed in my pc?
- AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor is created using .NET Framework Core 2.1.
- Do I need to learn any language, or tool to start using the generated code?
- AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor is super easy to use. As a matter of fact, there's just One main interface, and One main button to click. AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor was created for C# programmers, therefore you need to know C#. There's also the understanding that you already know MS SQL 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016, since you need a database for AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor to look at to be able to generate the code.
- Does AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor generate CRUD (create, retrieve, update, delete) data classes?
- Yes. You have two (3) options; Linq-to-Entities (Entity Framework Core), ADO.NET using Ad-Hoc/Dynamic SQL, or ADO.NET using Stored Procedures.
- Can AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor generate code using Oracle, MySQL, or other databases?
- No. AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor only supports Microsoft SQL 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016 (and later).
- Can AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor generate code using SQL Express?
- Yes. You need to attach your SQL Express database to an MS SQL 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016 database to do this. Or you can use SQL Server 2012 Express.
- Does AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor overwrite my existing generated Razor Pages/code?
- Yes if the generated code's path is the same as your current project's path/directory. Note: Some files like the Business Object classes and the Data Layer classes are only generated once, they are not overwritten. Make sure to use a path/directory other than your project path/directory, then just copy the code you need into your project/website. E.g. if your website path is: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\YourApp, then choose a different path for your generated code, e.g. use C:\GeneratedCode instead.
- Why do I get an "Access Denied" error?
- This means that you don't have access to the path/directory where you are trying to put the generated code. Make sure to choose a path/directory you have write access to.
- Why can't AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor access my MS SQL 2000/2005/2008/2012/2014/2016 database?
- You need admin rights on this MS SQL 2000/2005/2008/2012/2014/2016 database. If you already have admin rights to the database, then make sure that your username and password are correct. A blank password will not work.
- Is my purchase of AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor refundable?
- No. Please download AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor Express, this is our free product.
- Do you have a trial software?
- No. We have 2 editions, Express which is Free and the Professional Plus which is for sale. Please download AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor Express, this is our free product. We also have sample generated projects which can be downloaded here, in the bottom of the page.
- Can I pick just the database tables I want the code to be generated for?
- Does it generate code for database views?
- Can I pick just the database views I want the code to be generated for?
- What language will the generated code be in?
- C#. At the time this software shipped, ASP.NET Core does not support VB.NET.
- What .NET Framework does the generated code supports?
- You can generate code for .NET Frameworks Core 2.1
- Can I install multiple editions (or versions) of AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor?
- Can I use the generated code (middle-tier and data-tier) in ASP.NET Razor Pages, ASP.NET MVC project, or Win Forms?
- Can I use the generated code (middle-tier and data-tier) in other clients such as Web Services, WCF, Silverlight?
- Yes. Bottom line: You can use the generated code with any client that uses C# (.NET Framework Core 2.1)
- Can I add my own code to the generated middle-tier and data-tier code?
- Yes. Add your code or override a function/method in the BusinessObject and DataLayer classes. These classes are only generated once and are not overwritten.
- Can I edit/update the generated Stored Procedures?
- No. All generated stored procedures will be overwritten. Instead add your own stored procedure, then add the respective middle-tier code in the BusinessObject class and the data-tier code in the DataLayer class. *You can use the BusinessObjectBase and DataLayerBase classes as guide.
- How do you deliver the product?
- All our products are delivered digitally via download.
- Do I get free updates and upgrades when I purchase AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor?
- Updates yes. Upgrades no. Yes you are entitled to product updates and patches whenever they're released. We don't have upgrade pricing to any of our products.
- How many PCs can I intall 1 license of AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor?
- You can install 1 license of AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor Professional Plus up to 2 computers. You can install the free Express Edition to as many computer as you like.
- How many developers can use 1 license of AspCoreGen Professional Plus?
- 1 developer license can only be used by 1 developer. You will need to purchase 1 license of the Professional Plus Edition for each of the developer who's going to use this product.
- Do you give academic pricing to students (or teachers), or any type of discounts?
- No. Although students/teachers can learn from the generated code, AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor Professional Plus is meant for professional programmers. But please feel free to download our free product, AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor Express.
- Do you give discounts?
- Yes. We may give discounts when you buy more than one (quantity) product. Please contact our sales team at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your purchasing needs.
- How many databases can I generate code for?
- AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor only works for a Microsoft SQL Server database. You can use it to generated code for as many databases as you like. However, you can only generated for 1 database at a time.
- I tried downloading AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor but I was getting an error, why?
- AspCoreGen 2.0 Razor Professional Plus can only be downloaded once. Once you download it, make sure to keep it in a safe place. Our Express line of products may be downloaded as many times as you like.
- One Click to generate code, really?
Yes, please see the notes page. At first use you will need to fill a few required fields to start generating code such as:
- Server (database, it defaults to localhost)
- Name (database)
- User Name (database)
- Password (database)
- Check whether you want Linq-to-Entities, Stored Procedures, or Ad-Hoc SQL
- Web Application Name you want generated
- Directory where you want the Web Application to be generated in
- Business Layer and Data Layer Project Name
- Check whether you want to use a Web API, then enter the Web API Project Name
- Check the (type of) Razor Pages you want generated (by default they are all checked)
Once these are filled, the next time you generate code from the same database, all you really have to do is click the "Generate Code..." button. This is
very useful because as developers, we would add new tables, or even new fields to an existing table in our database, and these additions and updates
can go on forever while we're developing code for the same application. Being able to click just One button to generate code over and over again is very convenient
and does not take away our focus on the current application we're developing for.
This same principle also applies when generating code for Database Views.
Please search our Knowledge Base Database you maybe able to find it there. Click here to go there now.