Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Is AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC free?
- The Express edition is free. The Professional Plus edition is for sale.
- Do I need to activate the product?
- Yes. You need to register/activate AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC Professional Plus before use. You will need an internet connection to activate it. Registration and activation is done through the software interface. You don't need to activate the Express Edition.
- Do I need to have internet connection everytime I use it?
- No. You just need internet connection when you first activate the product and everytime you want to check for updates
- What's the catch with the Express Edition?
- No catch at all. You can download it for free. You can give copies to your friends. You don't have to register. There's no trial date end (because it's not a trial). There are no pop-ups reminding you to buy the Professional Plus Edition. No Activation required. Absolutely no catch. Oh yeah, you cannot profit from it by selling or distributing it, etc.
- What's the difference between the Professional Plus and Express Edition?
- Professional Plus is for sale, Express is free. Express generates just one type of MVC view; the Unbound View. Unbound views are views not bound to the database. The Data-Tier/Data Layer does not have code that connects to the database, you will need to manually add these code yourself. For a more complete list of the differences, please see the Product Edition Comparison found on the side menu. And of course the price.
- Is AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC a component?
- No it's not a component. It is a tool/application (.exe) that generates MVC Views/classes based on your MS SQL Server 2000/2005/2008/2012/2014 database or an attached SQL Express.
- What do I need to generate MVC Views/code using AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC?
- You need an MS SQL 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016 or later database or an attached SQL Express, or SQL Express, and the .NET Framework Core 2.0 installed in your pc.
- Are the generated MVC Views/classes compatible with Visual Studio 2017?
- With Visual Studio 2017, yes. It's specifically made for the .NET Core 2.0 Framework. With older Visual Studio editions, no, because it will not compile .NET Core 2.0 classes. You can also use other IDEs if you like, the generated MVC Views/classes are not tied to a specific IDE.
- Why do I need the .NET Framework Core 2.0 installed in my pc?
- AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC is created using .NET Framework Core 2.0.
- Do I need to learn any language, or tool to start using the generated code?
- AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC is super easy to use. As a matter of fact, there's just One main interface, and One main button to click. AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC was created for C# programmers, therefore you need to know C#. There's also the understanding that you already know MS SQL 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016, since you need a database for AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC to look at to be able to generate the code.
- Does AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC generate CRUD (create, retrieve, update, delete) data classes?
- Yes. You have two (3) options; Linq-to-Entities (Entity Framework Core), Classic ADO.NET using Ad-Hoc/Dynamic SQL, or Classic ADO.NET using Stored Procedures.
- Can AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC generate code using Oracle, MySQL, or other databases?
- No. AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC only supports Microsoft SQL 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016 (and later).
- Can AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC generate code using SQL Express?
- Yes. You need to attach your SQL Express database to an MS SQL 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016 database to do this. Or you can use SQL Server 2012 Express.
- Does AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC overwrite my existing generated MVC Views/code?
- Yes if the generated code's path is the same as your current project's path/directory. Note: Some files like the Business Object classes and the Data Layer classes are only generated once, they are not overwritten. Make sure to use a path/directory other than your project path/directory, then just copy the code you need into your project/website. E.g. if your website path is: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\YourApp, then choose a different path for your generated code, e.g. use C:\GeneratedCode instead.
- Why do I get an "Access Denied" error?
- This means that you don't have access to the path/directory where you are trying to put the generated code. Make sure to choose a path/directory you have write access to.
- Why can't AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC access my MS SQL 2000/2005/2008/2012/2014/2016 database?
- You need admin rights on this MS SQL 2000/2005/2008/2012/2014/2016 database. If you already have admin rights to the database, then make sure that your username and password are correct. A blank password will not work.
- Is my purchase of AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC refundable?
- No. Please download AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC Express, this is our free product.
- Do you have a trial software?
- No. We have 2 editions, Express which is Free and the Professional Plus which is for sale. Please download AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC Express, this is our free product. We also have sample generated projects which can be downloaded here, in the bottom of the page.
- Can I pick just the database tables I want the code to be generated for?
- Does it generate code for database views?
- Can I pick just the database views I want the code to be generated for?
- What language will the generated code be in?
- C#. At the time this software shipped, ASP.NET Core does not support VB.NET.
- What .NET Framework does the generated code supports?
- You can generate code for .NET Frameworks Core 2.0
- Can I install multiple editions (or versions) of AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC?
- Can I use the generated code (middle-tier and data-tier) in ASP.NET MVC Views, ASP.NET MVC project, or Win Forms?
- Can I use the generated code (middle-tier and data-tier) in other clients such as Web Services, WCF, Silverlight?
- Yes. Bottom line: You can use the generated code with any client that uses C# or VB.Net (.NET Framework Core 2.0)
- Can I add my own code to the generated middle-tier and data-tier code?
- Yes. Add your code or override a function/method in the BusinessObject and DataLayer classes. These classes are only generated once and are not overwritten.
- Can I edit/update the generated Stored Procedures?
- No. All generated stored procedures will be overwritten. Instead add your own stored procedure, then add the respective middle-tier code in the BusinessObject class and the data-tier code in the DataLayer class. *You can use the BusinessObjectBase and DataLayerBase classes as guide.
- How do you deliver the product?
- All our products are delivered digitally via download.
- Do I get free updates and upgrades when I purchase AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC?
- Updates yes. Upgrades no. Yes you are entitled to product updates and patches whenever they're released. We don't have upgrade pricing to any of our products.
- How many PCs can I intall 1 license of AspCoreGen?
- You can install 1 license of AspCoreGen Professional Plus up to 2 computers. You can install the free Express Edition to as many computer as you like.
- How many developers can use 1 license of AspCoreGen Professional Plus?
- 1 developer license can only be used by 1 developer. You will need to purchase 1 license of the Professional Plus Edition for each of the developer who's going to use this product.
- Do you give academic pricing to students (or teachers), or any type of discounts?
- No. Although students/teachers can learn from the generated code, AspCoreGen Professional Plus is meant for professional programmers. But please feel free to download our free product, AspCoreGen Express.
- Do you give discounts?
- Yes. We may give discounts when you buy more than one (quantity) product. Please contact our sales team at email@example.com to discuss your purchasing needs.
- How many databases can I generate code for?
- AspCoreGen only works for a Microsoft SQL Server database. You can use it to generated code for as many databases as you like. However, you can only generated for 1 database at a time.
- Does AspCoreGen Professional Plus scaffold the controllers?
- Yes. It doesn't just generate scaffolding for the controllers, it also generates code in each IActionResult method whether
to fill a grid, retrieve data, insert data, delete an item, retrieve a collection based on id, etc. It also generates the related models, views, view models,
entity framework linq-to-entity classes, business and data tier, stored procedures or ad-hoc SQL, and the optional web API service, and more. AspCoreGen has a
very powerful code generation engine which can spit a million lines of generated code combined in as little as a minute.
- I tried downloading AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC but I was getting an error, why?
- AspCoreGen 2.0 MVC Professional Plus can only be downloaded once. Once you download it, make sure to keep it in a safe place. Our Express line of products may be downloaded as many times as you like.
- One Click to generate code, really?
Yes, please see the notes page. At first use you will need to fill a few required fields to start generating code such as:
- Server (database, it defaults to localhost)
- Name (database)
- User Name (database)
- Password (database)
- Check whether you want Linq-to-Entities, Stored Procedures, or Ad-Hoc SQL
- Web Application Name you want generated
- Directory where you want the Web Application to be generated in
- Business Layer and Data Layer Project Name
- Check whether you want to use a Web API, then enter the Web API Project Name
- Check the (type of) MVC Views you want generated (by default they are all checked)
Once these are filled, the next time you generate code from the same database, all you really have to do is click the "Generate Code..." button. This is
very useful because as developers, we would add new tables, or even new fields to an existing table in our database, and these additions and updates
can go on forever while we're developing code for the same application. Being able to click just One button to generate code over and over again is very convenient
and does not take away our focus on the current application we're developing for.
This same principle also applies when generating code for Database Views.
Please search our Knowledge Base Database you maybe able to find it there. Click here to go there now.